Key to Success

Kelly - Methuen, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

I believe in teamwork. Teamwork is the “cooperative or coordinated effort on the part of a group of persons acting together as a team or in the interests of a common cause.” ( team can accomplish more than a single person can. Teamwork also looks a lot better than a bunch of individuals skating around people. It is something that is used not only in sports but in everyday life.

With my team I have won five national championships. Our team is known as the powerhouse, but as individuals we aren’t really known as much. A college coach told our coach that our team can only play with each other in order to do well and that’s why a lot of us get over looked at National Development programs. My coach responded with, “I would rather have a group of average girls that work together than a bunch of great individuals that don’t.” Just because you have the best group of individuals, doesn’t mean that they will always succeed. I have believed this ever since I started playing with this group of girls. The hardest thing to do is trying to play with people who don’t know how to work as a team.

At nationals when I was sixteen, everyone on the team, except the goalies, had at least one point during the tournament. There was a game where we were beating a team by so much that we weren’t allowed to shoot anymore. The only thing we were allowed to do was pass around the team. There was also another game where we only beat a team two to one. This game we really had to focus, work together, and communicate to connect with each other and win. This game helped me see how important teamwork is.

I have been playing with the same group of girls since I was ten. I have become very close to them and it has helped create a connection on and off the ice. I have been practicing, playing in games, and bonding with these girls for eight years which gives me an advantage. Teamwork is something that does not click right away. I know that we had to work on teamwork when we were younger but now it just comes naturally. There is a special relationship that goes along with team work. Having the opportunity to play on a team and bond with other girls has shown me that team work helps accomplishing our goals a lot easier.