Everything Happens for a Reason

Elizabeth - Santa Maria, California

In high school, whenever I went through a break up, my friends would always tell me, “Everything happens for a reason.” I hated it. I thought they pitied me and did not want to hurt my feelings by telling me what I have done wrong. After my sophomore year of high school, I began to see many of my friends, whom I had known for years, get pregnant and drop out of high school. I promised myself that I was not going to end up like them. I wanted to continue my education and not be drawn into the stereotype of the Latino culture. I did not want to be the young girl with a baby but little education. Now that I am in college, I realize that things do happen for a reason. I believe my college experience has made me realized that things do in fact happen for a reason, in that If it were not in college I might had become a young married women with a child and perhaps a college drop out.

In my first semester in college, I had the typical Mexican boyfriend, who had different plans than I. He was someone, who had dropped out of high school and worked full time. After only a few months of dating, he asked me to move in with him. It was the first time that any guy had asked me that question. I told him that we should wait before making any big decision. As time continued, we had arguments which led to our break up. The break up left me extremely heartbroken, but with time, I realized that it happened for a reason. My ex-boyfriend and I had different goals in life. I wanted to continue college, and he wanted to have a family. If I had moved in with him, I would have ended up pregnant and it would have not been as easy or possible to continue my college career.

I realized that my life is full of choices that can change or make a difference in my life. I had the opportunity to be married, but I chose not to. Do I regret it? No. I know that not marrying my ex-boyfriend happened for a reason. I know, my life right now is better than it would have been if I had stayed with him. The idea that “Everything happens for a reason” does not only apply to relationships, but to college as well. I made wrong choices there that led to my placement on A.P (academic probation).

I felt disappointed in myself when I was on academic probation because I did not meet the grade requirements. I had the choice to study or go to parties and I chose to party. Being on A.P taught me a valuable lesson. I realized that I need to manage my time with school work and my social life. I put a lot of effort into making more time for school the second semester and was able to get off academic probation. I had a lot of support from my friends, who helped me with my homework and invited me into their study sessions. Now I have better studying skills and learned how to manage my time so that school is my number one priority but I still have time for a social life. I know that if I had not been on academic probation, I would have continued to party and I would not have learned my lesson. I learned to take college more seriously and not to be discouraged if I do badly in an assignment because there is always time for improvement.

Now I do not get disappointed when things do not go the way I want them to or when I failed out of another relationship. I know that these things happen for a reason and I must learn from them. I might not know why they happen, but with time I will realize the reason. Life is full of surprises. I can either accept them and learn from them or be disappointed in them. I am now studying in college and don’t sit at home with a child. I have a balance of my social life and school work. My life is not perfect, but I am happy with it, because my life could have been different and I might not be where I am.