“Rock Star”

Valerie - Olathe, Kansas

The song has a place burned into my memory, I think about how it got stuck there as I hear it play. It isn’t a song I would normally listen to; it is too young, too off key, too pop, too out of place. But here I am listening, letting it take me back to that long car ride for this I believe in the importance of sisterhood and that is exactly what that song means to me and my sister, our bond as sisters.

It had been just me and my younger sister, Jessica. She had made a CD for the trip and mid-way through it became stuck on that song refusing move in any way off of it. So we were stuck listening to it all the way there. Jessie was angry at it, sighing in the way she had that made everything around her seem stupid. I found the situation to be amusing. I would sing along. Jessie would roll her eyes at me as if I was the younger sister, too childish to understand how obnoxious it was. At the end of the song, the singer would scream out “Goodnight everybody!” and I would scream right back to her, throwing my hand in the air in mock victory, “Goodnight Miley Cyrus!” Jessie, a small smile starting to spread on her face, one exactly like mine, since we were nearly identical in looks, would try to explain to me, her arms flinging down by her side in exasperation, that it was really Miley Cyrus’s alter ego Hannah Montana singing the song, so I should holler goodnight to her instead. I would complain that since they were the same I could say goodnight to whomever.

When we arrived at our destination the song was stuck in our heads. We sung it all weekend laughing away at how funny we found it. On the way home we managed to un-jam the CD and we listened with relief to the radio.

Weird, now neither one of us can change the radio station when hear that song, we feel the need to listen to it all and call out “Goodnight Miley Cyrus” at the end and of course we call each other up on the phone, as if hearing it is important news that the other must know about. But that is what being sisters is all about, dumb songs, long trips, funny unimportant news, and forever best friends.

So at the end of the song I call out “Goodnight Miley Cyrus!” and everyone around me looks at me funny. I then pull out my phone and text her some of the lyrics. She responds with a lol and the rest of the song. After all she has always been capable of finishing my sentences because our sisterhood bond is the strongest. We may be apart, but we are forever linked by being sisters and the song “Rock Star” is our reminder of this.