Kathy - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: pleasure

I believe in being barefoot. Most people would feel less tense if they were not bound up in shoes.

With the exception of cold winter days, I would rather be shoeless. Most of my younger days were spent unshod; blissful times when children played outside for hours and freely roamed neighborhoods independent of adult supervision.

My younger sister and I often walked home from our local swimming pool, barefoot. Although the soles of our feet had thickened from constant contact with the earth, black asphalt in August can feel like an inferno. Our remedy was to throw down a wet towel, stand on it for a few seconds, and then move on until we needed relief again.

Bare feet experience more of the world’s texture. Grass carpeted lawns, sand between the toes, and the soft enveloping feeling of sinking into cool mud are palpable pleasures. Add to those sensory experiences the stinging reality of stepping on a honeybee, or in animal waste, or on a rusty nail.

I’m not sure when our society gave up the pleasure of being barefoot. I guess when we ushered in the 1980s we felt the need remove all traces of the free spirited behavior of the ’60s and ’70s. So as Dynasty and Dallas graced our TV sets, big, expensive designer shoes graced our feet. It’s time to kick those shoes off!

I believe the world would be a more peaceful place if we would all unlace or unbuckle and relax. Flexing our arches and wiggling our toes will not ease all our problems but unbinding ourselves from shoes is one way to help and it has no negative effect on others.