I Belive in Comfort

Kathleen - Boulder, Colorado
Themes: pleasure

I believe in comfort. When I first began dating my fiancé, Joe, I noticed that he often started off the day differently than other people; rather than telling me “I love you, have a good day,” he would say “I love you, have a warm and comfortable morning.” As we continued to date, I quickly saw that comfort was a big thing for him. And recently, it has become a big thing for me.

Since beginning to date Joseph, I have found that the word “comfort” has taken on several new levels of meaning for me. It used to be a word I would use to describe a physical state. For example, I am comfortable when I am in bed wearing my pjs with a cup of hot tea sitting on the bedside table. I still see the physical state as an aspect of comfort, but I also now see comfort as a way of being, a lifestyle. Comfort goes beyond wearing sweatpants and warm socks to class on a cold day. It goes beyond sitting in front of a crackling fireplace or snagging one of the comfy chairs at your favorite coffee shop. Experiencing comfort is being grateful and gracious. Comfort is knowing deep within that in this moment, there is enough. It is the sense of security one has when she realizes that death is a part of life or when one realizes that eating a meal of grilled cheese and canned baked beans really is as satisfying as going out for a luxurious lobster dinner. It is knowing that the most expensive wedding dress or reception favors will not make my wedding day any more memorable or important than it will be otherwise. It is allowing oneself to feel the small coziness of a bird’s song or the still power of a gust of wind. Comfort is grateful, and through that gratefulness, comes a true possibility for generosity and kindness. And with that, I wish you a very comfortable day!