The Progression Of Hope

Joey - Wilmette, Illinois

If I were to tell you that throughout all the bad in the world, that man has evolved at an amazingly rapid pace, would you agree with me? If you are saying no right now, well then let me ask you this. If you went back in time just 50 years, and told your grandparents about cell phones, or ipods they would never believe you. If you tried to tell them that we could have a tool that could help us access any knowledge we need, (the Internet) would they believe you. Of course not, so in that short period, look at the development of humankind. Though I believe none of this would have happened without one individual coming up with an idea and having the hope that it would work. I believe that one of the biggest reasons humankind still moves forward is due to hope.

I recall when I was six, just seven years ago my grandma was devastated with lung cancer. My parents would try to cover it up, but I always knew in the pit of my stomach something was wrong. I also remember seeing my mom crying on the phone, I think it was when she got the news. That was what scared me. Until then I had this silly belief that an adult, can never cry they use all their tears during childhood, or they just evaporate. Then my mom had to leave to go see my grandma, and I knew something was definitely wrong. If my mom would drive a 6- hour drive to see my grandma.

My mom left the next day leaving me in wonder of what happened to my grandma, as my parents had tried to keep away the fact that my grandma had cancer by simply saying she was sick. The reason my mom decided to leave at that specific time was due to the fact my grandma was to go under the knife, and have a third of her lung taken out. I could tell everyone was nervous, this was a live or die surgery. Luckily though my grandma never saw the gates of heaven, and survived the surgery. I remember that a week after that my whole family and I went to see my grandma. I saw how weak she was, she would have trouble getting up. Since it’s obviously hard to get up with a third of your lung gone, she stayed in one room usually. Though I remember the smile that us being there brought to her face, how all the people that cared surrounded her. She smiled whenever we would walk in. I believe that if my grandma wasn’t surrounded by all the people that cared about her, we could have had different results, and she might not still be here.

Today my grandma is the only 70-year-old lady I know who has a personal trainer, that’s not for physical therapy. And she’s very healthy right now, though I still always wonder how different would it be if she wasn’t surrounded by hope.