I believe in the little things

HEATHER - GRAY, Tennessee

I believe in the little things

I believe in the little things. This I believe in the little things that matter the most, the stuff that money can’t buy. Like the love of my family, the closeness, and the Sunday brunches we share. Sundays it’s a tradition to eat at my grandparents after church. My uncles, aunts, cousins, and parents and siblings all go to the lake house where my grandparent’s live; we always eat more than we should, because there is always enough food to feed an army and then some. Then we sit around the house complaining of how much we ate and talking about the good times, memories, and funny stories of our parents, jokes, what we were like as children. This is the place where I learned about the little things that mean the most to me and most of my growing up learning experiences happened. Like the romantic story of my grandparents, the greatest love story still living to this day. Looking at pictures of the old days and how much simpler it was. Hearing how my grandparents didn’t have cars they walked up hill both ways with no shoes in the snow to school every day. Then learning to dive my papaw’s big red truck. That it’s better to be hot than cold, so always wear extra layers. Never say bye, say c-ya, because bye means forever c-ya means I’ll see you later. How to make the greatest food or candy desired. Fixing flat tires or building doodads with the extra scrap wood in papaws wood shop. Never get in a hurry it’s always to better to be late than not get there at all. Raking leaves all day just to jump into the pile and the end of the day. How to sew, wrap presents, and cheer for the Red Sox’s all at the same time. Swimming for hours, pushing my papaw into the water laughing every time. If I was in trouble to pick the right switch so that they wouldn’t get a bigger one. Love unconditionally and always be thankful for what you have there are less fortunate out there. Little remedies like honey for a sore throat, hot tea for a cold, and methialade will burn but heal any cut. Duct tape will fix anything broken. How great naps in the hammock are. Christmas is much greater when giving than receiving. Catching huge fish with corn kernels and steal bread, of the dock. Camping out in the front yard with all your cousins but getting scared at midnight and going inside. Getting spoiled by your grandparent’s when your parents wouldn’t. How I was my papaws favorite and bragging to the other grandkids about it. How rebellious your parents really where and you’re the reason for their gray hair. But the greatest thing I have learned from these little things is I always have support, comfort, compassion, and love within in my family. This is something I could never buy, appreciate or find in material things. I believe in the little things that mean the most.