Paper or Plastic?

Sarah - Newburgh, IN, Indiana
Themes: environment

My junior year, my teacher took a picture of me hugging a tree and also signed me up to be on Greenpeace. I think the clichés “tree-hugger” and “green peacer” fit me well. These labels have created a greater commitment for me to cherish the environment.

I believe in being green. Every day I fill up my water tumbler/bottle and turn off the lights. I do not leave the water running when I brush my teeth and I ride my friend’s bike instead of driving a car. I unplug anything that uses vampire energy and I tend to take shorter showers.

Before I took an Environmental Science class last year, I only thought recycling and reducing were the only ways to help out the environment. I was unaware that it is possible to convert methane gas from animal waste into energy. This class made me realize how I affect the environment every second of the day when I start my car or if I did not recycle.

My Environmental Science class last year it completely changed my perspective on saving the planet. It also made me a stronger believer in windmill farms, hydroelectric dams, and nuclear power plants, which create vast amounts of energy while producing less waste than traditional coal burning power plants.

I also learned about how I am affecting animals and their habitats. Global warming is causing the ice caps to melt causing animals, like the moose in Alaska, the polar bears in the North Pole, or the elk in Canada, to lose their homes. The animals must move from their habitats and adapt to the new environments or they will perish.

I believe in being a greenie. Yes, I am one of those fruitcakes that own more than one “save the planet” shirt. Yes, I pick up litter on the side of the road and ground. Yes, I do reduce, reuse, and recycle. Yes, I do believe in finding alternate sources than oil to power our country. I think saving the planet is one of my greatest goals in life. I hope to keep my passion strong for believing in being green. I believe if I keep this passion I will keep the world spinning. The planet is my future. I need to keep the grass green, the polar bears happy, and the lights off.