EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON

Monica - Ashburn, Virginia

I BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON…

This I believe, because it is how I ended up on this earth. My dad was in the Air Force and my mother a nurse. They both met in Wichita Falls, TX. They fell in love and got married, making my mom a “military wife”. My mom was unable to have kids. But she was able to have me. Not by conception, but through adoption. While stationed in Ankara, Turkey, My mom worked in the local orphanage. This is where she saved my life, and my life began. I was a baby starving from malnutrition. I was very skinny, and you could see most of my ribs. For some reason my mom picked me up and held me. She said I clung to her and just put my head on her heart. This must of have been the most love I had ever received. The orphanage was not willing to let my mom take me home, because to them I was going to “die” soon. My mom fought with them and took me to the warm and loving home where they both lived. After 1 month of feeding me on rice formula I began to gain weight and became probably the fattest and chubbiest kid ever. You would never think my body had gone through what it did. My parents had to work with me to get me up to speed development wise. They spent endless nights coloring with me, watching cartoons and playing all sorts of games with me. I didn’t know how to crawl at the time, which my mom taught me to do by spreading cheerios all over the kitchen floor and making me get them myself. I had an older sister who unfortunately didn’t make it, and I sometimes wonder how it would be had she survived and was given a second chance at life. A couple of years later, they adopted a healthy baby boy, who became my baby brother.

Since then I have grown up emotionally, spiritually and physically and have had the pleasure of living a great life. Being a “military brat” I have had the chance to live in several different countries and gained once in a lifetime experiences.

I am grateful everyday for my parents “meeting” and all that followed. I believe that had they never met, and my dad never got that tour to Turkey, I probably wouldn’t have survived to tell my story. Everything happens for a reason; people come in and out of our lives for a reason. We might not know right away why we meet these people, but we eventually find out. I thank God everyday for this life changing event and for all the people that I have met and added to my life. And although I am not exactly where I want to be, I know something good is coming my way. I know that there is always someone that is doing better than me and that there is someone that is doing worse than me, and I am happy and blessed to be where I am. I have a loving family and I consider them my angels who saved my life.