A True Beginning: An Essay on why I find Senior year the True Beginning

Kaylee - Weford, Pennsylvania

“In all our lives there’s a fall from innocence; a time after which we are never the same. For some, it’s the last real taste of innocence and the first real taste of life. But for everyone, it’s the time that memories are made of.”

I saw this quote on a Facebook page recently and I discerned that is applies to my present experience. Starting this senior year of high school, approached with alacrity, it didn’t feel like all the others. I felt diaphanous, as I went through the process of realizing what this was. This year I feel like I’ve gained acumen already just by realizing the title of “Senior” and trying to grasp that this is my last year of high school, my last year I exasperatedly wake up at ungodly hours until the real world and my last school dances. I feel like becoming a senor has been my fall from innocence as it becomes lucid that my life is right around the bend. This “fall from innocence” signifies, to me, all of us growing up this year and appreciating the life we have here before we leave. We’re no longer taking for granted our high school experience, knowing we still have two or three years.

I know this experience is overused and hackneyed; yet I’m sure many of my peers are experiencing the same kind of emotions even though we’d like to curtail them. The last line of the quote says that this “fall from innocence” is a time that memories are made. All four years of high school are full of memories, but now I fee like we’re going to be more focused on making every last one of them count.

So that’s why I believe that this year is the “true beginning;” this senior year. We’re coming into our own and maturing. We’re diligently appreciating every last second with our friends, every second of those football games, and dances. I hope that this year I can do a little growing up to make the memories and appreciate what I have before my life becomes completely altered. I challenge you to do the same. Even if you’re not in a similar situation, you can always take the time to appreciate what you have.