A Second First Impression

Stefanie - manteca, California
Themes: tolerance

A Second First Impression

Our parents always told us “you never get a second chance to make a first impression”. I don’t get it. I had 3 recent experiences happen to me lately that made me seriously doubt that famous saying. The thought crossed my mind that maybe at first I am too judgmental, but being judgmental or not, they are still first impressions. The 3 people that made me doubt the first impression theory are my boss/neighbor, the jeep lady and my elderly math instructor.

First I’d like to introduce Marianne. I appropriately dubbed her Dragon Lady. When I first met her, it was on a friendly neighborly basis. I thought, at first, she was a pleasant and nice Christian lady. Wrong! Before I realized that, her husband hired me to work for his company, so now Dragon Lady is now loosely my boss. That is when I learned she is actually mean, unhappy and vindictive. I would have never guessed that upon my first impression of her.

My next false impression laid upon the jeep lady. I was headed to subway for lunch one day when I got stuck behind a lady in a piece of junk jeep. She was going so slow, it immediately aggravated me because I was extremely hungry. Not only was her slow pace angering me, but she had this decal littering her whole back window that says “it’s a jeep thing”. I rolled my eyes and cursed her all the way to subways, in which, she ended up in front of me in line. She and I ended up ordering the exact same sandwich, on the same bread with exactly the same fixings. That sparked a pleasant conversation between her and I. So once again, my first impression was wrong.

My last false first impression is my elderly math instructor. First day of class my jaw dropped because he annoyingly drags his feet and it is distracting. Not only that, he moves really slow and slurs his speech. I thought at first I was never going to make it through this class. But as time went on, I got used to his vibe and everything turned out ok.

Whenever I meet new people I try not to judge a book by its cover. Maybe I am too judgmental or perhaps a bad judge of character. Whatever the case the saying should be updated to “You just might get a second chance to make a different first impression”.