We’re not here

Peter - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

I believe in total impossibility. You can’t prove anything. For example, as you read this essay, try to prove to somebody else that you are reading this essay. Hard, isn’t it? Can you prove that the sky is blue? For that, you need to define blue, define sky, and define the concept of proving something. Oh, and you can’t use the words in their definitions. This belief of mine was formed last year, in English class. Another person and I were having an argument about perception. He said that nothing is true and that nothing is false. I argued against him, but now I see that he was right. Nothing can be proven or disproven. Knowledge is futile. Who says that 2+2=4? What is 2? What is 4? What are numbers? To these questions, and all questions, there are no answers.

These differences don’t stop at basic knowledge. Take, for example, the letter e. I see a lowercase letter e as five-sixths of a circle with a horizontal line on the diameter. You might see an e as a short, green man with an abnormally large head. Somebody else might see an e as an annoying paper clip with eyes that comes up whenever you spell something wrong on the computer. And nobody can say anything about it, because even though everybody may see things a different way, they have all been taught that it is the same thing, so everybody thinks they see things the same way as everybody else.

And it doesn’t stop there. Who is to say that any of this, this paper, this sky, this sky, who says that any of it even exists? For all I know, this world is just a dream, a dream that ends with death. Maybe when I die, I will wake up from the dream. But when I wake up? Perhaps it will be just another dream. And maybe that dream is in a dream, and so on and so forth. I can’t say that George Washington was the first president of the United States. I can’t say that water is two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen. In this mindset, I can’t even say that I am alive.

I believe in nothing. No, it’s not that I don’t believe anything; I believe, quite literally, in nothing. Nothing can’t be proven. Nothing can’t be disproven. I believe that the only thing that exists is nothing.