The Inexcusable Act of Cruelty

John Mechael Oleksa - Wexford, Pennsylvania

My neighbors across the street are a very nice family. They live a nice life and have two children, Brooke who is seven and Brandon who is ten. About one year ago they came home with the cutest Schnoodle, named Parker, which is a cross between a Schnauzer and a Poodle. Where I am going with this you may ask is animal cruelty. The parents in the family are very responsible and nice but when the kids take the dog for walks the sight is not very pleasing. I will see them dragging him and even kicking him. I have a dog myself and I would never imagine doing the things to him that Brooke and Brandon do to their puppy.

I believe that animal cruelty is unacceptable and should be punishable by life in prison or even death. You here in the news about puppy mills and houses being found with many animals in it with poor living conditions but, I believe that this has to stop. Animal cruelty, in my eyes, is the same as human cruelty. In many families around the world there are dogs and cats and many other animals that are cared for and loved. Is not this the same as a child, they are cared for and loved. Also in families that are not able to have a baby, the husband and wife will go our and buy a dog because it carries the same type of responsibility. Animals are part of a family and should not be treated like tissues, you use them they you throw them away.

My dog Dodger is the best thing that has ever happened to my family and I. He is a three-year-old Goldendoodle and has become a part of the family. He thinks that he is the king of the world and that everyone should bow down to him. If anything were to happen to him I do not know what I would do. When I see my neighbors drag Parker or kick him I just wonder how they could do that to such an innocent piece of life. I am not going to say anything to the family because it is not my place and the dog is always healthy but if things were to get worse you can bet money that I will say something. I think that the cruelty is coming from the age. Brooke is still young and doesn’t understand the importance of life but Brandon, I would just expect more from him because he is older.

The topic of animal cruelty can become a very heated argument but I believe that it should not happen and that people who are caught performing acts of cruelty on animals should be prosecuted. I feel that as a human that cares for animals I should do something for the world that shows love for animals. Just like Saint Francis of Assisi, who cared for animals, I want to become like him and act like him.