The World We Live In

Holly - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

Welcome to the world. We have all heard the saying when life gives you lemons make lemonade. What if we do not want to make lemonade? When did lemonade become such an acceptable beverage? What about grape juice? Why is that not a plausible option? When did we come to such a mindset that there is only one right way to do anything and everything?

Welcome to the world. A place dominated by self-importance and self-worth. If I do not have the right contacts I will never make it in this world of clicks that the only way to further yourself in your work place or anything is based on who you know not what you can do. How the world would rather concern themselves with the size of someone’s pocket, than if the people are of a more suitable nature and would therefore make the better candidate. Does this make sense, to regulate the world based on wealth?

Welcome to the world. Where no one can say what they are actually feeling for the fear of hurting someone else’s feelings. Not only can one not state their own feelings because of he regards of others, one has to also worry about the consequences of saying something that is not politically correct. I have to so say the right thing or… Is this really the land of the free after all? How can it be?

Welcome to the world that has an imaginary land of greatness, but blinds those who dwell on it. All they see is the nonexistent greatness. So, where is this so called greatness? If people blemish this land with action and words, how could this land be greater than any other? To not take care of what you have shows a disdain for it. Is it still great? That people feel it is there God given right to do whatever they feel like and not have to live up to anyone’s standards. Do what you want people don’t care, that is the message one receives when turning on the television and all you see on it is blood, guts, and gore, or how about sex, making out, and scandalous behavior. What are people telling people?

So welcome to the world, the place where only one option is the right one. A place where in order to excel you must dominate the competition by how much money you have and not by your abilities. Have fun trying not to hurt anyone. I want to see how long that lasts. These are questions I find myself asking, what has the world come to? Why has it come to it? Will it ever go back?