What’s in My Closet

John - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

My alarm rings day after day at 6:00 a.m. I roll out of bed only to be constantly disappointed that I have to leave the warmth of my covers. When I finally manage to get up I blind myself with my light and stumble into the bathroom to take a shower. After my shower I get adjusted to the early morning and get ready to open up my closet. I pick out my clothes every morning, but never spared the time to think about what’s really in the closet.

Your whole personality and how people look at you is presented in your closet. It is difficult to think of such a meager item as cloth can determine what kind of person people see you as. Clothes alone can outcast many people from social groups at school. How can a person really look at someone and say “Wow is she seriously wearing that shirt, I’m not talking to her again”. Of course this is an example of high school but it goes on in the real world too. Instead of what shirt it would be what blouse. I feel as society has taken a step backward in this judging of people. For example, in Anglo-Saxon times people all dressed in the same clothes because nothing else was offered. So instead of people being judged on what they wore, there true personality was shown.

In today’s times there are different social groups that dress in different ways. Not only the clothes but the actual brand can determine what kind of person you are. I think it’s ridiculous that if I wear a collared shirt or solid black shirt I’ll be looked at differently. Fortunately for me, I believe girls have it worse than guys. Some guys are still in the primitive mindset of, “who cares what I look like”.

Although, many people still like the thrill of being able to show their personality through material items. Is society truly that insecure as to need to look at a person outside before getting to know them? This I believe is an immense problem in today’s society.