The Simpler Things in Life

Adam - Wexford, Pennsylvania

This past September, Hurricane Ike marched up the eastern seaboard of the United States. In its path of destruction and devastation, it glided over my home in Pittsburgh. That night was a normal night for me, as I watched sports on television. The storm still packed quite the punch and managed to knock out electricity in my neighborhood. I moaned and whined about it for the rest of the night, in the dark, without any entertainment at all. To make things worse, we were not supposed to have electricity return until about 4 days. How in the world was I going to survive an entire week without electricity?

As I went about my erratic life at school, many students talked about how glad they were that they did not lose power, or already had it returned. I grumbled, knowing that I was stuck without any means of modern entertainment. Heck, I even looked forward to going to school since I could see in the morning without using a flashlight. My house was hot, musty and dark, and I loathed returning from school. As the week went by, I started to see this power outage in a different light. Perhaps this is not so much of a curse, and more of a blessing.

Now, how can a power outage actually be a blessing? Well, I realized that this brought my family closer together. On a normal night we are scattered throughout our house, watching television, going on the computer or cleaning. That leaves very little time for sitting down and just talking, talking about important and even silly topics. We sat down and just talked and joked about each other, and even learned a little about how their lives were going. I realized that communication is such an important factor in humans, and that there is more to life than television.

So this power outage opened my eyes to the simpler aspects of life. Now, instead of going home and plopping down in front of the television, I talk with my mother about something funny that happened today, or what I found interesting in school today. I believe that children today lack communication skills that past generations posses. Perhaps this is a result of the technology boom and society. What I garnered from my experience without electricity is that sometimes the simplest actions in life, like talking, are also the most entertaining.