Why I Have Faith

Colten - Evansville, Indiana

I believe in the power of faith. In 2002 my father was diagnosed with cancer. Ever since, it has been a very long road with lots of hardships, but I have also seen miracles performed. If it wasn’t for my church family, my own family and I would most likely be living on the streets. Besides the cancer, my father has had to endure a quadruple bypass surgery, a surgery on his diaphragm, and just this past year he has had a stem cell transplant which has rid him of his cancer; the transplant however has also given him a lot of other side effects.

My father has endured more medical obstacles than most people should have to put up with in one life time, and yet he his still alive, so I thank God everyday for his love and healing. Now of course there were plenty of times that I had my doubts about things like how much longer is my Dad going to be around, Where are we going to live, who’s going to take care of us; there were just so many questions. Their even was a time when I said “enough,” and I even turned away from God. I was just so angry for what he was putting my father and my family through, but it was the miracles along the way that led me to see that he and so many others were taking care of us. There were even times when we would have no money due to medical expenses and we would need groceries. We would come home and there would be bags of food and household items sitting on our porch. Also relatives and church members would cook us meals, and bring them to us throughout the day because the majority of the time we did not have enough time to cook with taking care of everything else, or we would just be to exhausted. I’m not just talking a few meals either. We would receive so many meals from people, that we had to give some away, just because we didn’t have the room for them all. And our church family has even donated enough money to keep my families bills paid in order for us to stay in a home. Ultimately it was the little daily miracles that led me to see that God and some amazing people were watching over my family. This turned me around and led me to renew my faith in God and also reminded me that their are still kind people in this world. I thank God every day for the miracles (big and small) and for healing my father and even though he is not fully recovered. He still has a long way to go; it has only been progress after progress, and if he just takes it one step at a time, and we all keep faith and hope, I know things will be alright. This is why I believe in the power of faith and the kindness of others.