Why Move?

Jacob - Wexford, Pennsylvania

It must have been one of the hardest decisions of his life. Why leave? He had a good job, a nice house, his children were happy, and his wife liked her job. It would have been very easy to just say no. However, I believe that everything happens for a reason.

In June 2008, my dad was notified that the General Manager’s position at Northern Tier High Adventure Base was open. This job, one of the premier posts in the Boy Scouts of America, had always interested my dad. Unfortunately, the opening did not come at the most opportune point in time. First of all, I was a senior in high school and I was having no part of moving to a remote town in Northern Minnesota. Secondly, my parents both had jobs that they enjoyed and our family was well adjusted to life in Pittsburgh. Despite the overwhelming number of reasons to go with the safe option and not move his family, my dad decided to take the General Manager’s position in Ely, Minnesota. The next thing I knew, I was living with a friend while the rest of my family moved to Minnesota.

Thankfully, everything happens for a reason. I know that this situation will work out in the end. Although my family just moved and I have yet to see the major outcomes of the new job, I am confident that the reasons that my dad made this difficult decision will present themselves with time. Also, one reason has become abundantly clear. My dad loves his new job. I have never seen his face light up like it does when he talks about the new position. He has much less stress and he gets to run his own show. Hopefully, the job changed happened for reasons that will affect the rest of my family and me in the positive way that it has affected my dad. Believing that everything happens for a reason helps me get through hard times. So, when you are faced with a difficult decision, remember, no matter what you do, it happens for a reason.