Hurricane Ike

Alicia - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
Themes: nature

Hurricane Ike

Weather plays a major role in everyday life. Moods can range from happiness to sadness based on rain or shine. It can set what type of day you’re going to be having. Issues such as global warming and hurricanes are being constantly addressed. The latest hurricane that’s taken over the news and local headlines is Hurricane Ike. For the past month it’s been arid, with little to no rain, desiccating all of the wildlife. Now, with Ike on the move, it’s been nonstop showers. I believe weather will eventually turn the world we know today into a completely unfamiliar place. It’s already effecting homes and destroying buildings. Look what happened because of Hurricane Katrina.

It crashed as a Category 2 hurricane, packing 110 mph winds and callous conditions. The waves eradicated the sea wall of Galveston and caused over seven feet of flooding. The whole island lost electricity and water pressure, enough to drive the 40% of residents who stayed frenetic. Roughly 2,000 people didn’t evacuate Galveston and were left to be rescued on Sunday morning. Ike drove the residents farther inland, and roughly 40,000 Texans were seeking refuge in 250 shelters. Predictions stated that it wasn’t supposed to be deadly, but so far at least eight deaths have been accounted for due to Ike.

According to AIR Worldwide, the damage on insured losses with total between eight to twelve billion, with an expected loss of ten billion. If the estimate is correct, Ike will rank as the fourth most expensive hurricane in U.S history. It’ll stand behind Hurricane Wilma which struck in 2005.

In my opinion, nothing will come close to comparing to the damage caused by Katrina. Yes, I think eventually another hurricane to that magnitude will indeed hit the United States. I’m flabbergasted people chose not to evacuate when they got word Ike would hit. I understand it’d be hard to leave your possessions behind, but compared to your life it’s a diminutive price to pay. It’s hapless that Ike struck Galveston. The situation has enervated President Bush even more, and he declared the coast a major disaster area. He’ll visit on Tuesday to see the malefic situation.