Cheerleading; not as easy as it seems

Ashley - Valencia, Pennsylvania
Themes: setbacks

I’ve been a cheerleader for about nine years and throughout that time; I have never had a serious injury. I finally acquired my first serious mid-august when I had the zealous dream of landing a standing handspring tuck. It was at tumbling when this debacle happened. My coach really wanted me to do the tumbling pass and probably wouldn’t have let me leave until I accomplished it. We kept bickering back and forth until I finally decided to capitulate. The moment I gave in my coaches gave me a lot of approbation for just attempting to perform the skill.

I was very craven that something could go wrong but I decided to attempt the skill anyway. I ended up falling and landing on my hand in the most awkward position. I landed on the topside of my left hand which caused my fingers to compress inward. The moment I fell, I had an acute pain shoot through my hand. I said to myself, my hand has to be broken. This I believe is one of the most painful cheerleading injuries I have ever had. At first no one believed that I was really hurt because I’m usually a bit dramatic but also because I was able to keep my composure. Not a single tear rolled down my cheek even though it felt like my hand was paralyzed. When my coached finally looked at my hand, it was immediately manifest that it was swelling by the second. They rushed to get me ice and told me to keep it on my hand. I decided to call my mom because the coached and I decided that I should take a trip to the emergency room. I was fine up until the point when I had to talk to my mom. The moment I heard my mom on the other line, my tears inundated. When I got to the emergency room the pain in my hand was pervasive and the bruising was a swirl of purples and blacks and a hint of verdant. My hand ended up looking worse than it actually was. It ended up just being sprained but it was going to take a while before I could try any new skills at cheer.