Count Your Blessings

Leanne - Bakerstown, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that one should never take anything for granted–no matter how menial it seems. Live life to the fullest and appreciate the gifts you have been given. Try to take time out of everyday to reflect on the numerous blessings that you have been rewarded with.

When I was eight years old, I went to my grandma and grandpa’s house every Sunday afternoon for lunch. After eating, my grandma, my sisters, and I would bake cookies. Since we were so young, my grandma would prepare the dough before we arrived, then she would let us use cookie cutters and sprinkles to decorate. One day, my grandma could not find the dough she had previously prepared. My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease a few months earlier, and in my youth, I didn’t understand that the game of “find the cookie dough” wasn’t just for fun. Her memory began to degenerate, and slowly her motor skills worsened too. Since then, my grandma has slowly deteriorated so that she can no longer walk, talk, or feed herself. I have always taken these everyday actions for granted and have never thought twice about the many blessings I have in my life. My grandma once told me, when lucid for a moment, to always cherish my mind, because it’s a terrible thing to not have. After seeing my grandma living in an almost vegetative state, I have realized that I should stop stressing about the insignificant worries in life because tomorrow is not a guarantee. I have learned from my grandma to savor even the smallest things that have seemed to slip under the radar.

Cherish the things in life that you hold to high esteem, and also cherish the things that seem insignificant. It is so easy to focus on the negatives in life, but always remembering to be thankful for the positives can be life changing. I am extremely thankful for the countless blessings in my life, although I may not always show it. I have been abundantly blessed with family, friends, good health, and a comfortable life.