Try This On For Size

Genevieve - Marquette, Michigan

We all have worn many pairs of shoes in our lives. I can’t remember my first pair of shoes, and the concept of fashionable footwear didn’t become important to me until I reached middle school. I have been blessed with my father’s height and I reached my peak height of five feet eight inches in the seventh grade. Unfortunately, big feet also came with my tall stature, and with big feet came my never ending challenge of finding fashionable shoes in my larger than average size.

In the early part of my teen years, the skateboard tennis shoe became the new fashion trend. I was skeptical at first and even criticized one of my friends for wearing them because she didn’t skateboard. It wasn’t until after I received a pair of skate shoes that I realized what I had been missing. I loved the shoes, and they even made my size 10 feet look not as gigantic for once. I felt bad for being so critical of my friend and now I saw what it was like to be “in her shoes” in a sense.

Although I wasn’t aware of it then, I found that each person has their own experiences and perspectives. I have come to realize that if I try on someone else’s shoes, maybe I’ll see something in a completely different light. I believe that a person’s perspective is likely to change once they have experienced something firsthand.

This past fall I stepped into the shoes of a college student. I had heard from friends who had attended or were attending college that it was “just like high school.” I had done very well academically throughout my high school years and I figured that college would be a piece of cake. After my first week of classes, I realized I was in way over my head. The professors and the work load seemed overwhelming and I wasn’t sure how I’d get through this. At this point, I wanted to throw my college shoes out the window. I was used to succeeding and it was upsetting at times to study for a test for several hours and still receive a mediocre grade.

These disappointments were like blisters on my feet from my new college shoes. But after I put on the band-aids and let the blisters turn into calluses, I realized that it was just something I had to work through. I was expecting something totally different from what my friends had told me and from what I had perceived about college students. I wasn’t living the life of leisure that I thought college would be. My college shoes were new, and it would just take time for them to be broken in and comfortable.

I know that I’ll come across the different people’s shoes to step in throughout my life. I know now that you can’t always know what to expect when you try them on.