“This I believe”

Adrienne - Missouri
Themes: equality

I believe everyone should have equal opportunities. Everyone should have the opportunity to go to college. Also to have an appropriate job that provides higher promotion opportunities. No one deserves to be decimated because of a birth defect, different race, or religion. I believe that everyone should strive for a change in the society today. I also believe that others try to turn a blind eye to avoid the fact that some are mistreated by their peers. All though they want to say something they don’t. They are afraid of being disliked for their courage to speak up for someone else or speak about what they believe is right.

I have recently met man named Mr. Kenizle that has stickler disease. He is my hero. I have been looked down on for being different. He has encouraged me to laugh it of when someone says something derogative toward me. He likes to joke with me and say “it because your black” or “it’s the black kids fault”. Every time I walk in a room he says “here comes that black girl” and all I can do is laugh, because he has inspired me to look at the things I can’t do and look at the things I can do and strive to be better. He has taught me to be able to handle situations that may occur and probably will occur in the future. It’s crazy because he is so comfortable with his disease he is able to joke about himself as if its not even there.

Life for me has been a challenge. I am biracial, and I have been though a lot of altercations where people have looked at me different and prejudged me because my appearance. My color is different. My friends like to joke and say “Adrienne where did you go it dark out”, but I feel like I should be seen and treated as equal as everyone else. I believe that all people should have equal rights and be given the opportunity to shine.