A better way to go

Katie - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

A Better Way to Go

Education is a main importance in life. However many question the process. For instance, why don’t we go to school all year? Why don’t we have a longer spring break? And most of all, why do we have so much homework? I believe, as a ninth grade student, we are given too much homework. As a result, teens aren’t getting enough sleep.

Teenagers are supposed to get at least eight hours of sleep a night. But, it is sad to know that barely any teenagers do get eight hours of sleep a night. Some reasons are because of homework and sports. Homework alone takes kids hours to finish. But when you add sports to the schedule, it is ridiculous how long it takes. This is because kids sometimes have games right after school that are far away. In that case, kids might not get home until ten o’clock at night. All they want to do is go home and go to sleep. But instead, they have to eat, take a shower, and then do hours of homework. Kids have two options: either do their homework and be up really late, or go to sleep early and not get their homework done or studying. Either way, they are in trouble the next day, and that is from being too tired and not being able to focus, or they get bad grades from not having their homework completed.

A resolution to this problem is to have students go to school for a four or five period day, being the same length. By doing this, kids would be more focused in classes because they would have had less homework because they would have had only a few main classes. Kids would be very less stressed out too because instead of having four or five tests in one day, they would not. Also, they would not have homework in every subject. And, they have a lot of time in school to finish their homework. I assumed if the school were to function this way, then kids would be much happier and get better grades. Having less homework will make kids very pleased and get more sleep. That way, kids would learn more in classes each day and concentrate more.