Success from Making others happy

Kathryn - Wexford, Pennsylvania

I believe that success comes from making others happy and not frompersonal gain. The experience that formed my belief today, happened four years ago at the first of many North Star Kid shows. The North Star Kid Broadway Performing Troup has performed for many different audiences and occasions; they performed for large and small audiences, their stages were sometimes grand or sometimes just a wooden or carpeted floor.This show that shaped my belief was scheduled for a nursing home. I was ten years old and i was ready to sing and dance what we had been practicing. The show began and we all started to dance and sing what we had rehearsed so many times before. Right away, looking out into the small, packed room, filled with rows of wheel chairs, canes, and the elderly, I saw happiness and excitement. Left and Right they would clap their hands and sing right along with us, even if they did not know the song. Their smiles made us smile and their energy made us sing and dance even harder because we knew that they loved to hear us as much as we loved performing for them. At the end of each song was applause and smiles of gratitude from the elderly as well as the nurses. Our director, Annie Snyder, congratulated us after the show telling us how our audience was so happy to see us. It was a while ago, but yet i never forgot what she told us next,” We count our successes not by how many trophies we’ve won, but how many hearts we’ve touched.” The experience taught me to believe that true success comes from the fulfillment of seeing others happy as a result of an action that you have done.

Now that I am older I realize the true meaning of my belief. As a result of my experience i wnat to do something for someone else, even if that action is as simple as cracking a funny joke to make someone smile, being a good listener to a friend, or simply helping my mom around the house because there is no other feeling like the feeling i get when i help someone. Success, for me, comes from the happy smile on someone’s face and knowing that i helped to put it there.

Success coming from anothers happiness isn’t about personal gain. Most people think that success has alot to do with recieving money like winning the lottery, or havethe biggest house in the neighborhood, or owning the best designer handbag of the season; people relate “being successful” as having material possessions when the only feeling of success you get is that you have more than another; you feel happy just because you made someone feel unpleasent and resentful towards what they have.

That one show in the nursing home had such an impact on me. I know that i made at least one person smile and feel good that day. I felt successful because i made someone else happy and not just myself. So, if I can make someone happy just by singing a song, I have to ask myself, what would happen if i gave even more?