Remember September 11,2001

Anna Goertler - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

I believe that everyone in the United States of America should honor those who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001. On September 11, 2001, when a group of culpable terrorists attacked our country, I was in the second grade in Rogers Elementary. I cannot remember everything that happened that day, because I was so young. But I do remember that my teacher explained to my classmates and I what happened. Neither I nor any of my classmates fully understood what was being explained to us, but we all knew that whatever happened was not good. Looking back at this morose day, I realize what actually happened on September 11th.

A plane crashed into each of the twin towers, and one crashed into the pentagon, and a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania. Each of the crashes caused a conflagration.

Some people lost their innocent loved ones including the copious number of people that lost their lives in the pentagon, in the twin towers, or in Somerset County. Some firefighters and police officers also lost their lives while trying to rescue people in the twin towers and in the pentagon. I cannot even imagine how arduous it would be losing a family member, a friend, or even someone that you know.

My belief was probably formed over time throughout the past six or seven years of my life: when I would read articles in the newspaper about September 11th, when I heard speeches made by political figures about September 11th, and when I heard the priest or maybe a member of the congregation at my church talk about September 11th.

It is important to honor and exalt those who died on September 11th with memorials, prayers, etc. so that we and the future generations remember and are knowledgeable of what happened that day and who passed away. I try to honor those who have died on September 11th, 2001 by praying in silence for them every September 11th.

The firefighters and policemen that died on September 11th should also be honored because of their bravery and fidelity. Some knew they would die if they attempted to rescue people that were trapped in the pentagon or in the twin towers, but the firefighters and policemen tried to rescue people anyways, even if the consequence was losing their life.

Remembering September 11th reminds me to take time to appreciate and cherish people and things while they are still on this Earth; because you never know what could happen tomorrow.