Adam - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
Themes: setbacks

I believe that when people fail at something, they fail because they set their selves up for failure. People worry about things before they even happen. They start saying to their self, “what if this happens” or “what if that happens”. I believe that when people fail at something, it is for three main reasons. They don’t take their opportunities when they have them, they don’t believe in their self, and they don’t know what they want. You never know what is going to happen, so concentrate on today, not tomorrow.

When people have an opportunity that will benefit them, they should take it. People who fail in life fail over and over again because they don’t take their opportunities when they come by. The people who don’t take their opportunities when they have them are most likely afraid that something bad will happen or they would rather do things tomorrow. Tomorrow never seems to come for those people. In order to be successful, people need to take chances. I watch other people in the world and often think to myself, “how did that person get to where they are at now.” I always seem to come up with my own answer based on their appearance, attitude and who their friends are. I can tell many things about a person by looking at who their friends are.

Countless amounts of people don’t believe or have faith in their self. I have found that in my life, when I believe in myself and think I can do something, I usually can and when I don’t think I can do something, I usually can’t. That is the same for everyone else in the world. People need to have an open mind that is ready for new and interesting things. People also need to be quick to change their minds when another person has a better idea. I have found in my life that the first step to success in life is believing in myself.

I have found out that when I know what I want, I usually succeed in getting it. The reason I succeed is because my heart is in what I want. That goes the same for the rest of the people in this world. When people don’t get what they want, it’s mainly because their heart was not in what they failed at. When I am sitting in a chair at school, I get better grades in the classes that I like or am interested in because I know what I like. In my life, I have learned that to get what you want, you must first know what you want.

Through this essay, my point was to provide for you the steps that I try to follow everyday so that someday I will be a successful person. This essay was about my observations that I have made in my life. I just categorized them into three categories. Even though it’s about other people, I wrote this through my observations.