4th Grade Experiences = Life Lessons

Avery - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

I believe that people should assess others only by what they know about them.

Before the start of fourth grade, I learned that my three best friends were scheduled in a different class than me with the teacher I always wanted for fourth grade. On top of this terrible news, I would have Mrs. Wadkins as my teacher. I had heard stories about Mrs. Wadkins; people said she was unpleasant and intimidating. I cried to my mom about how terrible fourth grade would be until the start of school. My fourth grade year brought up many surprises. I started the year with only acquaintances in my class and ended the year with new best friends. But the most surprising aspect of the class was Mrs. Wadkins. She was hilarious and she helped make the year easier for me. Mrs. Wadkins could tell I was shy and her happy, inviting personality helped me break out of my shell and get to know everyone. She always encouraged me and made me feel so smart and special. At the end of fourth grade, I was offered the opportunity to be in Mrs. Wadkins class for fifth grade, too. It was ironic how excited I was to have that mean, scary Mrs. Wadkins as my teacher again.

This story makes me, my family and even Mrs. Wadkins laugh because they all saw me learn this lesson before their eyes. I could say that I simply learned “don’t judge a book by its cover,” but it’s so much more than that. I figured that Mrs. Wadkins was mean and a terrible teacher, and gave myself unnecessary grief, all from what others thought. I really regretted being so worried and judging Mrs. Wadkins when I discovered how great she was.

I often consider how much more peaceful and easy life would be without bias. We know we have all been victims of judgment, and we know we have all judged others. I think this is unethical, but I also believe that other people can learn the same lesson I did. I believe you never truly know a person until you take the time to get to know them.