It Takes Humiliation to Achieve Motivation

Juan-Pablo - Seattle, Washington

I believe in the motivation to learn, I believe that without it we will never truly accomplish anything in life.

Many people go on with their lives, doing the same thing every day, not to say that’s a bad thing, but why stick to the same routine when you can do a thousand different things a thousand different ways. The same can said for school and studding. I guarantee you that all the kids that go to school do it because they have to, honestly, I could be doing something else. But if your here, why not make the best of it; why not take all you can take. If you come to skip class, if you come to be disrespectful, then why come at all, why come if you’re not even going to try.

For me it all started when I moved to Washington, it was different. I remember the first day at my new school, and thinking how scared I was, how lonely I looked in front of everyone. It didn’t take long, but after a day or two I finally made some friends. Over the course of the year, I remember thinking to myself that all this was only temporary, it was all going to be over soon, and I would be reunited with my lost friends and my old town. As the days went by, so did the very little inspiration I had, my impulse, and my drive.

For a year I did absolutely nothing. I cared neither my school nor for my education. I went because I had to, I was both disrespectful and disruptive, I didn’t even do the simplest of task let alone even attempt to do my homework. I took random guesses on tests because I obviously did not know the answer, I only did minimum work. I was going nowhere.

One day my teacher decided to have a new seating arraignment. There would be three tables. The kids who applied themselves and cared about their work would go on one, the kids who somewhat applied themselves would go on another, and the ones who just didn’t care, the ones who were going nowhere would go on the other. It’s wasn’t a surprise were I ended up, but for some reason it was to me. I remember looking around, all my friends were on the other two tables, I knew no one and didn’t want to know anyone at mine, I was humiliated, we were the failures.

That day I realized something, I realized that I wasn’t going back to the place where I had grown up and grown to love, I was here to stay. I realized I had dug myself into a whole, but at the exact same time I realized something else, I realized it was going to take time, but it wasn’t impossible, I could do it, I could climb out of it.

To this day I don’t know what my motivation is, what’s my drive, what pushes me. Maybe it’s me trying to redeem myself, however I know something does inspire me to learn and always will. Something will always be there, telling me to do my best.