I believe in the power of sharing love with another human being

Heather - Bangor, Maine

I believe in the power of sharing love with another human being.

I came to the United States when I was fifteen years old. Before I could register for any classes, I needed to complete my high school immunization requirements. The first time I stepped into an American hospital I was overwhelmed. Everyone was speaking English and I had no clue what they were asking me. I felt scared and alone until an Asian lady approached me and asked me, “hahn-gook sah-rahm-eem-ni-gkah?” Are you Korean? I nodded yes and she told me she was a nurse. From that point on, she translated everything and guided me through the immunization process. I can still remember that moment to this day. It went from one of the scariest moments of my life to an experience of relief and comfort. Her compassion was genuine and from the heart. That was the day I decided I wanted to become a nurse and help those in need.

From the moment I decided to become a nurse, I tried to focus on what type of nurse I wanted to be. I volunteered 8 hours a week in the OB/GYN department at Madigan Hospital in Fort Lewis, Washington; I have accumulated 224 hours. I helped nurses check patients’ vital signs and I chaperoned female patients for doctors. Also, I helped people as a translator at Madigan Hospital and the Korean Women’s Society. I translate for Koreans who are not fluent in English. I truly enjoy volunteering and helping others. By increasing my efforts, it makes me more confident and helps build my positive attitude.

The compassion that I experienced from a Korean nurse was one of the most significant influences not only my decision to become a nurse but also on my personal beliefs about helping people. I learned that helping others is rewarding and that even the smallest act of charity can change someone’s life forever. I have since become more proficient in English and have grown more confident in interacting with people.

I believe in the power of sharing love with another human being. Each individual can have a truly powerful effect on others. Human beings are born to share their love with others, even if through seemingly small kindnesses. Nursing would be unrewarding and unfulfilling if one was not genuinely compassionate when supporting or caring for those in need. It is my time to share my love with the world.