Loyalty To The Family

Peter - El Paso, Texas

“Fredo, you’re my older brother, and I love you. But don’t ever take sides with anyone against the family again. Ever…” is a quote from a movie which supports what I strongly believe in, loyalty to the family; and although the Godfather consisted of murder and vice, it got this right. For no matter what happens or happened, I can always turn to my siblings or parents for support and assistance.

I consider myself part of the typical American family. I have two brothers; one is nineteen and the other twenty seven and one sister, who is only two years older than I. Nonetheless, I don’t claim to have the perfect family, but I do have one that “works.” We have our arguments and struggles but we watch each others backs. No matter what happens, there will always be the four of us and our parents.

Even as I was growing up my sibling looked out for me. Whether it was in a fight or just when I needed to talk. They always reminded me of the importance of family. For with out each other, who else would we have? My eldest brother helped us the most, as experience shows. It was several years back and some guy stared a fight with my brother. Others came to just watch, and some to help that man, and soon the odds were against my brother. But as soon as our oldest brother saw what was happening he stepped in.

Another event I recall was one with my sister. Though less physical, it was equally important. I was stressed and my grades were slipping. But with her console and comfort, I was able to push myself. She even so much as helped me study for my finals when hers were just as soon beginning. Her aid was my key to success, and never would she do something to compromise my health or even grade.

I can think of hundreds of examples where people without the support or especially loyalty of their family fail. Now not all stories end in such a manner, and not all families are great, but can you truly always succeed without depending on the trust in your kin? No, not without the lasting devotion of the family. Even the little things, like eating dinner together every day, or just having a barbecue together every Sunday brings us together. Even spending minutes each day having a serious talk, or talking with them to settle a dispute and joking together afterwards are simple signs of our unity. In the summer, when the whole family is together, we play cards; we eat, talk, laugh, and live. Through these signs of devotion and the overall character of my family, I believe in the importance of being loyal to these people, whose trust I would rather die for than break; for though this natural unity, never shall we be alone and never shall we fail.