Perspective

Lauren - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

I believe that perspective is everything.

My parents divorced when I was at the age of ten. Such a time in one’s life is confusing enough, with the hormones and awkwardness and new realizations; adding a divorce to the mix makes the whole era’s oddities thirty times as perplexing.

I recall the night when my dad told me the big news. I was unsuspectingly lying in bed when he kneeled next to me with glossy, lethargic eyes. He looked considerably older than usual. “Lauren,” he began quietly. “Your mother and I have decided to get a divorce.” As is the case with many life-changing events, no emotion hit me at first, but its onset was inevitable.

After a few days, the realization of this event seeped into my mind and lingered like the scent of a favorite blanket that your cat pooped on while you were sleeping. I began to perceive things in a different way; my parents were breaking up, so what else could potentially become unstable and perish? I remained in a fearful mindset and became depressed, isolating many of the people close to me. Because of my need for control, I developed problems with body image, self-mutilation, and suicidal thoughts.

After about two years of harsh, destructive behavior, I began to realize that such activities lead to nothing but long-term negativity. They’re simply a waste of a short life. Thus, I learned about the joys of a utilitarianist viewpoint and the importance of utilizing decisions that produce the most good in a situation. Performing constructive activities in the present time results in a more positive future.

I came to realize that perspective is everything. The way one perceives an event can cause it to be enjoyable or painful, significant or meaningless. Events don’t affect us; our perspective does.

I now know how to find psychological balance and embrace the changing tides of life. Even when there are times of melancholy, such a diversity of emotion adds to the adventure of human existence and causes the joyous times to be wonderfully intensified.

I believe that everything is perspective.