Grecia - Dominican Republic

I once had dream, a dream that changed my view in life. I believe in change because of this dream. It was a nine-year-old girl who carried a small dirty doll; she never let go of her doll because it was her only friend even if she lived among many children of her age. They were all strangers to her even if she had met those years ago, she always seemed to want something else something other people were blessed with and often took for granted.

One afternoon she was walking in the backyard of the orphanage that she shared with at least twenty other children. She sat on the cold concrete of the basketball court and looked up to the oldest tree she knew. Holding her rag doll in her arm, she admired its beauty and noticed a small family of birds in a nest on the tree. She envied the birds; she envied their freedom, and their family. She placed her doll beside her like if the doll were another girl admiring the beauty of nature.

The little girl sat quietly, analyzing her environment, when suddenly she heard someone call her name: “Anna! Hey, Anna! I have good news for you!” She couldn’t believe it, this was it, the moment she had always wished for, the moment she got a chance to have a family. She stood up as fast as she could and with her excitement, she forgot her little rag doll, lying there on the cold concrete alone. Anna was so happy, she couldn’t think of anything but her new family. She had already gotten used to her new bedroom and having the care and attention from her parents. It was pure bliss to her; her doll didn’t even cross her mind.

About a week later she was looking back at her old memories in the foster home, her life had changed completely, she remembered her friend, who stayed by her through the good times and the bad, her doll. She searched everywhere for it she could have sworn she brought it with her. Anna asked herself where she might have put her doll. Had she abandoned it? Like her real parents had abandoned her? She could only hope for the best, that her doll had now found another little girl to help through her life at the foster home, just like she had found a new family to take care of her.

This dream changed me entirely. It gave me a new perspective in life. I believe in change, I hope for improvement, I believe that everyone deserves change, whether it’s getting a haircut, or a new family, we need change, sometimes it’s for the better but not always, sometimes it makes a big difference in your life, sometimes it doesn’t, but it always gives you a chance to look at life from another person’s shoes, even if they are now your own.