The Realization of a Lifetime

Kelly - Virginia, Nebraska

When I was in high school, I can’t remember a sporting event I was involved in that my grandparents didn’t come to. They were my biggest fans. Even in our local newspaper, there was an article about them always coming to games and being great supporters of their grandchildren. I never really saw this as being very important. I had not known anything different. After games, I never made a big effort to go talk to them because I kept thinking they will be there at the next game.

I believe you should never take something or someone for granted. You should never expect life to give you everything, and you never have to give your share. My senior year of high school hit me hard with the reality of life. My grandpa was suddenly diagnosed with brain cancer. He was unable to walk on his own and needed constant attention. He was taking chemo pills which made him weak and traveled an hour away for radiation almost every day.

From the day of my grandpa’s diagnosis, my grandparents did not make it to one more of my games. The first game they missed hit me really hard. While I was playing I never heard my grandma’s voice yelling at the referees, or my grandpa yelling at me to pick it up. After the game, I cried and cried. My grandparents were not there for me for the first time in my life. At that moment, I realized how much I took them for granted to always be there.

Today, I am in college, but every weekend I travel an hour back to visit my grandparents. My grandpa barely gets out of the house and doesn’t always know who I am. But my hopes are still high he will keep getting better. I always bring up old memories I have had with him and sometimes he will give me smile and nod his head. This is what gives me hope. I know my grandpa remembers me but just needs a little help. This is what made me believe to not take anyone I love for granted. These days, I am the one going out of my way to see him. I just wish it didn’t take my grandpa getting diagnosed with brain cancer for me to realize how much I truly love him and how much he has been there for me.