Writing Life’s Unfinishable Essay

Nick - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

As I sit in front of this monitor, trying to think up an idea for this essay, I realized that we are always trying think up an idea to craft our life’s essay. I believe that everyone and everything in our world is thinking up an idea for that person or thing’s life essay. Just as I am trying to create an idea for this essay, I am also creating an idea of who I am as a person. I realize that this process of idea-making is perpetual; we are always writing our life’s essay.

This is the joy and tragedy of life. Nothing is ever finished. Each action is a result of a former action. This is the human experience: the constant adaptation to change. Even when we think we are resisting change, we are adapting our thinking to that. For example, my mom always tells me that I am growing up too fast. She misses the “little kid” I once was. But she is changing her thinking to coincide with my growing up. While she cannot change my growing up, she can change her way of thinking of me.

I have a belief that the most successful people in the world are ones that embrace the constant change of the human experience. These individuals do not fear it, resist it, or deny it. They have the emotional strength, maturity, and self confidence to face the inevitable consequences of their choices. By the same token, they can deal with the results of others’ choices that affect them. For example, our family knows of a man whose family was killed by a drunk driver while he was at work. That day his entire life changed without his control. Despite the bone-crushing sadness that he must have had to cope with, he found within himself the courage and strength to return to work and eventually run for public office and even remarry. As I stated above, he continued to write his story but just had to start a new chapter first.

After sitting in front of this monitor for however many minutes, I have come to the conclusion that a person’s life essay is never completely finished. This I believe.