Happiness leads to success

Nolwenn - 85283, Arizona

I believe that success does not cause happiness, but happiness is actually what makes people successful. Happiness contributes towards positive attitudes, which motivates people to undertake new goals and be successful in achieving them. People who are in a positive mood are more likely to work actively towards achieving their goals. When I am enthusiastic, I tend to feel energetic, confident, and optimistic and others find me to be sociable and friendly. Joyful people are more attractive; not only in the physical sense of attractiveness, but in every sense of the word. Happiness leads me to seek out other people and be more open to other individuals. Happiness plays an important role in my life; I believe it is the key to success.

I came across this study done several years ago. It concluded that the primary reason people are fired is because they have disagreements and poor communication with their colleagues; I find that to be true. After I had experienced several group projects at school, I noticed that it was easier to communicate with the students who had an optimistic attitude rather than those who were always depressed. Those who had a positive attitude about the project were easier to work with and were highly motivated. This happiness lead me to be more willing to tackle the given task even though it was difficult; thus, making my group to become successful in the project.

When I was a freshman in high school, some of my close friends found my constant cheerfulness to be quite annoying. I could not understand why my closest friends were starting to hate me. They could not hate me just because I was optimistic most of the time. When I entered sophomore year in high school, I had to re-evaluate the friends I was hanging out with. I asked myself, “Are they able to lift up my mood when I was down or do they make me feel worse?” I realized that they were having a bad influence on me, making me very sidetracked. I was actually starting to pick up their bad habit of complaining about everything. This made me feel depressed about life and I started to miss my cheerful self. I had to make a difficult decision and slowly start to surround myself with optimistic friends. My friends were talking negatively of me and told me, “You ditched us for new friends. That is not cool of you to do that.” I still tried to hang out with my “depressive friends” at least once or twice a week, but they basically considered our friendship to be over. There was no use in continuing to hang out with them; they were being so cold to me. Compared to the friends who I used to hang out with, my new group of friends were complete opposites. I felt so good being with friends who were always encouraging me and having positive attitudes. My joyful friends even had better grades in school because of how confident they were, and influenced me to do the same.

I have learned that happiness leads to behaviors that produce further success in relationships and health. If I can be grateful about my health, the sunshine, and my family, it can make a difference in my life. It took baby steps for me to reach the full understanding of what happiness was. The secret of happiness is finding joy in the simple pleasures of life. One day, I just concentrated on my breathing. I found this to be an amazing activity. I thought about the people who are in unhealthy conditions; they may not be able to breathe on their own. I have the privilege to breathe in through my nose without the need of a portable oxygen tank. It is something I became grateful for. Just being able to taste food and not having a feeding tube in my stomach is another example of a simple thing to be grateful for. Being thankful for the simplest things in life put a positive impact on my life.

Happiness is not a mere luxury but rather the very essence of living. When the basis of joy is missing, life has no meaning. Having a bunch of things is not the key to true happiness. I have learned to appreciate the things I have. It does require a bit of effort to achieve an optimistic outlook on life; unfortunately many people do not make it. It takes practice to stop the bad habit of complaining about how terrible life is. Having a positive attitude is the best way to accomplish my goals and have a bright, exciting future. I believe happiness is the key to a successful life.