Hope - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: change, pleasure

It used to drive me crazy to be late. I did not like the thought of others having to wait on me, so I always showed up five to ten minutes early to everything. Everyone else took their sweet time. They did not care how late they were, which drove me completely insane. I didn’t understand what they were doing. I would nag and nag. I would even go as far as to tell my friends and family to show up half an hour ahead of time but it never seemed to do any good. I learned to adjust to the fact that I couldn’t always have my way; I had to learn to be patient.

I had a theatre director, who throughout my entire high school career was only early once that I can remember and that was because his wife was with him. Anytime I would point out to him that he was late, he would laugh at me, “No, I’m here. That’s all that matters.â€? I couldn’t argue with that, because it was the truth; he was there and he was the one we were always waiting on.

I didn’t understand why he was denying the fact that he was late. He would never make an excuse or lie, he didn’t think it mattered why he was late. Finally, I had to ask, “Why are you late to everything?â€? He looked me straight in the eye and said, “You can’t be late until you show up.â€? Then he just turned and walked away, leaving me confused and a little irritated.

The more I thought about it the more I realized what he was trying to say. He meant that he couldn’t do anything until he got to the place he was headed, so why worry about it? He went by his own clock; he didn’t worry about the little things; he would get there sooner or later and get them done. I took a step back, really thinking about what he had said and took a look at my own life. It was time I started running my own clock, and stop letting it bother me when others did not show up on time. Now, I use the time waiting on people to get other things done: to call a friend, to read a book or to just let my mind rest for a bit. I have learned to relax because time is no longer the only thing I was paying attention to. I no longer nag my friends for being late; instead we laugh about it and move on. I allow myself to just have fun.