Take a Penny, Leave a Penny.

Gina - Kalamazoo, Michigan

Many have heard the saying, “what goes around, comes around.” I have always been a firm believer in Karma. An event happened not too long ago that made my beliefs even stronger: I was sitting with a group of friends on my patio enjoying some good beer and some good conversation, when a kid, whom I will refer to as “the kid” walks up. I think to myself, “o great, here it comes.” The kid starts rambling on, “Man! so many things are going wrong … my wallet got stolen … my car wont start …. my girlfriend broke up with me …. I broke my phone …. blah blah blah …” All along I was thinking, “ this is the same kid who has stolen money from his own friends and started up hundreds of rumors and fights.” I told him that maybe its happening because of all his bad karma, he just laughed. I thought to myself again, it’s only so long before one’s luck will run out, and his time had come. I’m not sure that the kid ever learned his lesson because just last weekend I was an eye-witness to him stealing a cup from a keg party.

Since I can remember, I have been doing little things that count, like smiling at someone who looks like they are having a bad day or covering someone’s work shift even after a long night of drinking. I’m not necessarily trying to prevent bad things from happening to me, its more for the gratification it provides.

Along with Karma, there is reincarnation. If there is any chance that karma is going to effect my next life, I’m not taking any chances. I would hate to spend a lifetime as a pig slopping through the mud, when I could be a bald eagle soaring through the sky.

Like Earl Hickey from My Name is Earl said, “you do good things – good things will happen to you, you do bad things – bad things will happen to you.” My moto always has been, and forever will be, you get as much out of life as you put into it. And the next time someone like “the kid” gets you down, just know that he will get his in return.