I believe everything happens for a reason.

Missy - Batavia, Ohio

I believe everything happens for a reason. To teach us a lesson. We fall down to teach us how to get back up, things change to teach us to cope, and people/ pets die to teach us not to take anything for granite because nothing lasts forever. I learned this lesson a long time ago, alot like most of us I’ve lost friends, family, and pets. But I’ve recently had that reality brought upon me again. When my best friends horse, who i looked at and cared for like one of my own horses, had to be put down. I’ll never forget that day. It started out like any normal Wednesday. We got up, went to school, and after school we headed for the barn to get our horses and go for a ride. When we got there, like usual, my Sister, Dad, and Tj were all already there. It was the perfect day for riding, it wasn’t to hot out, but it was still warm enough to justify wearing a tank top. My dad was busy and didn’t have time to go for a ride, but he said he’d take us to the other side of the river at the bicycle lot and drop us and the horses off so we could take a longer ride. So off we went. Sammi rode her horse Penny, I rode her moms horse Nick, my Sister rode her horse little dude, and our friend Tj rode my moms horse Smokey. The ride was like any other ride. We joked and played around. It wasn’t too muddy out so we got to pick up the pace in some places. It was just like any normal ride. Penny gaited better than she ever had gaited for Sam. Everyone was having fun.

It was like that almost the entire ride. Until we got about 10 minutes from home. All of the sudden Penny started to walk with her tail in the air. It looked pretty funny so we all joked about it, we didn’t think anything was wrong. But then, all of a sudden her back legs buckled under her. I yelled to Sam “Sam! Get off she’s going down.” So she jumped off. All of a sudden penny was on the ground thrashing about and none of us had a clue what was going on. I called my dad and told him what was going on, and that we needed him and the trailer there right away. By the time he got there Penny was back on her feet and walking down the street. She went down one more time before we could give her a shot to help her with the pain. We walked her all the way back to the barn, at times Tj would have to push her hind end up while Sam and I pulled on her from the front to keep her moving. When we got to Sammi’s barn we just kept walking her up and down the road, thinking it was colic, but then she would go into a violent thrashing again kicking, and bucking, and lunging, trying to get rid of the pain. We all got kicked, stepped on and drug that night. We didn’t care though, we didn’t know what was wrong with her, but we knew she didn‘t mean to hurt us. It took until 11 o’clock that evening to get a vet to show up, keep in mind, this started at 7 o’clock that night. So we kept walking her.

More than once that night I thought Penny was just going to give up on us. One time she threw herself on the ground, her breathing slowed to almost a stop, and her eyes shut. But she got back up, and kept fighting. When the vet finally showed up, after examining her, he told us we had two choices. We could put her down now, or take her to Lexington, KY immediately to have surgery, either way the decision had to be made within the hour or she would not have any chance at all. So we gave her some medicine for the ride up, and at mid night started our trip to Lexington. We got there sometime early in the morning. They unloaded her and took her into a padded stall to evaluate her. But they found nothing. Her heart beat had gone back to being almost normal, she wasn’t acting like she was in pain, and they couldn’t find any clog in her stomach. She didn’t show one sign of colic or being in pain. Just in case they decided to keep her over night, and keep an eye on her. They gave us the choice to stay or go home, saying they would call us in the morning if we went home. So we went in the stall and said good bye to her, hoping, that it wouldn’t be the last time we had too. We unhooked the trailer to leave it behind for when we came back to get her and started our long ride home. We got back to the barn around 4 a.m. (that’s where we spent the night.), and we were so worn out that we didn’t even have to second guess if sleep would come to us or not. Around 7 a.m. Sam’s mom got a call saying that Penny was showing small signs of colic that they were going to take her in for surgery. Then around 8:30 she got the heart breaking call saying that it wasn’t colic, and that they couldn’t save her unless they wanted to pay over twenty thousand dollars and it would still only be about a 20% chance of her making it. About 9 a.m. Sammi and I found out. By 11 o’clock we were on our way back to Lexington. Penny gave Sam the best ride of her entire life that day. I think it was her way of saying that she would take care of Sam on the ride, so Sam could take of her later. I also think it was Penny’s way of saying good bye.