Pressures and Life

Tori - Boy River, Minnesota

Many people are afraid to be different. They do not want to be known as the oddball. Especially teens, they have a billion times more pressure then anyone to fit in. They have pressures to smoke, drink and do other things they wouldn’t normally to unless they wanted to fit in. They face peer pressures as soon as they leave they leave the house in the morning. They have them at home too. From myspace, facebook, text messages, phone calls, and many other things. There have been many times that I have been pressured to drink alcohol. One time I can remember is at a birthday party. I was invited not knowing that there was going to be alcohol there. I thought it was just going to be a sleep over. During the movie one of my friends brought out a bottle of alcohol. She offered it to everyone and they all accepted. I did not want to drink because it is stupid so I said no. Everyone was making fun of me because I wouldn’t drink. I decided to leave the party. And I still do not regret not drinking that night. All of the people who were at that party continued to drink and go to parties every weekend. I know one day that they will get caught and have consequences. I want to live my life alcohol free. I know it will bring me more and better opportunities for my future. I will be able to get a good job and finish school without the distraction of wanting to party with my friends. It will be one less thing to distract me from my studies in high school and my studies when I get to college. It will be one less thing to spend my money on when I have a career. It will be one more thing I can teach my children so that they can also have a successful life without the distraction of alcohol. Even though they will have the same pressures I did as a teen. Hopefully through my example, not only will my children but also others around me will see why it is a good choice to be alcohol free.