Stereotypes

Robert - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Themes: prejudice

y

When you walk down the street and see someone you think is weird, you either stare, or talk about them then minute you walk by. Whether it is someone of a different race, body size, or religion. It can also be someone with a different sense of style then you, or some homeless asking for money. I think all people have done this before no matter how hard you try not to. It is just the way our society is made. I believe that you shouldn’t judge someone on their appearance without getting to know them first.

I know from personal experience that people at a first glance are not always what they seem. Someone that may seem so different from what you would talk to normally, might actually turn out to be a friend.

Some people when they walk by a homeless person for example, might think they are above them, when really they aren’t. There could be a perfectly good reason or story behind why he or she is homeless, and it might not be their fault. They could have lost their job, and be unable to get a new one, or they could have lost everything they own in a fire, or anything else you can possible imagine. Most of these things people don’t normally think about. I know this because I know I don’t think about it, I just assume something. Like they lost all their money gambling, or doing drugs when really that’s not true.

We as a country are brought up to think anyone different from ourselves are weird, strange, or a freak. These stereotypes can hold back so many different opportunities. What if? What if the geek and the high school quarterback came together? What if the rich and the poor came together? What if people didn’t judge one another? What if? What would happen if we didn’t have these stereotypes keeping people apart?