Expressions of Expressions

Vicki - Mars, Pennsylvania
Themes: freedom

I believe in freedom of expression. I believe that one should express themselves freely without a care about what others think. About a year ago in eight grade, my class had to go to a meeting about high school. The day before the meeting, my friend and I discussed what we would wear to the meeting.

“I will wear jeans to the meeting since I do not feel like dressing up,” I announced.

“I will wear jeans too,” My friend said.

“Actually, I want to wear these new dress pants I just bought,” I said changing my mind.

“Darn! Now I have to go out and buy dress pants,” She said also changing her mind.

“I want to wear jeans again,” I said just to see if she would do the same.

“Great! I’ll wear jeans too,” she stated copying me again.

“Why do you want to wear what I wear?” I asked in confusion.

“I don’t want to be the only one wearing jeans and I don’t want to stand out and look strange.”

After she said that, I realized that people should be able to express themselves freely and be themselves. It doesn’t matter what other people think, you should just be yourself.

To me, freedom of expression means to be able to dress how you want, act how you want, and to do what you want to do. You should do what you want to do and not what others want you to do. I don’t think people should worry about what others think. I think people should just express themselves in their own way because they enjoy doing what they do. If you live your live doing what others want instead of what you want, then you will never be happy. Instead, you will become unhappy because you will never accomplish what you want to accomplish in life.

If people did not express themselves and just followed the crowd, then the world would become boring. Everyone would do what everyone else did and nothing would change. Everything would be the same and nothing would be different. Because people can express themselves, every day is different. No one person is the same. I can live my live how I want to live it and I can express myself freely without worrying about what others think.