Alaina - Wexford, Pennsylvania
Themes: race

Black or white. The colors of our skin somehow matter. Racism basically means one race has superiority over another. Why does this happen, why do white people think they are better than other people that are of another race. The most racism we have in America is toward African American people. One day I heard my father degrading African American people, because owning a restaurant, he has to work with them a lot. He was being very rude and I just thought to myself why does it matter what race they are? I believe that whatever our skin color, we should be treated the same.

I know that there are many racist white people in America. Some talk about African American people as if we live in the 1800’s before we stopped slavery. If I think about all the people who have acted against racism it amazes me how far we have come. Some examples are what Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King did. But, somehow we still have people in America who are very racist. I’ve come to find that most of the people who are very racist are older. Maybe the next generation will have racism dwindle down to almost nothing, but that is up to that generation. This year’s election will really have an impact on racism in America. If Barack Obama is not elected president it will be a good indication of what American people think. Some are not voting for him for political reasons and others just can’t bring themselves to vote for an African American man. Some hide it, because they don’t want to be called racist. Obama is actually only half African American but, a mix of white and true African. Racism is a real problem in America. When will it stop, it may never.

Now you may think there is not much racism left in America, but come to reality, and realize it is true. Almost every white person has said some racist thing about some person that was another race. It is wrong but some people just can’t help it. That is the only thing they know. We need to teach future generations that race doesn’t matter. No one is superior to another based to another based on the color of their skin.