Tyler - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

When I was younger, I did a lot of stupid things. Looking back on these times, one memory stands out more than any other. My friends and I were playing flash light tag in a man’s yard who doesn’t allow us in his yard. I hid near his house, where I thought nobody would look for me, when all of a sudden the man came outside. As quite as I could, I raised myself from the ground. His eyes darted to the slowly moving me and he asked what I was doing in his yard. Not answering, I bolted for it, I ran blindly not caring where I went. Not realizing where I was going, I tripped over a stump and landed on my neighbor’s driveway. My knee was scrapped real bad, but I was safe from the man. Limping back to my house, I realized how stupid it was for me to have joined in the game knowing something like that could happen. Now I look at this time as a time of learning, not as a time of pain and stupidity. My belief is one should not regret past mistakes, but learn from the mistakes made.

Learning from my past mistakes in my opinion is the first step in becoming mature. My parents say that I am not mature as they were at my age and I need to learn maturity. They think that I am immature, because I make mistakes all the time that they didn’t make when they were kids. But, I learn from my mistakes which shows I am growing in maturity.

Years have passed since this incident happened to me. I have made countless mistakes and bad decisions. It is hard to learn from mistakes. Indeed I have made some of the same mistakes multiple times, but nobody is perfect, it is bound to happen. But, it takes work to change: I am working very hard to change my ways, since it is my belief.

Learning from my past mistakes still happens today. Now that I am older, I have more choices to make, more things to do and everything is much more important. It is essential that I learn from my mistakes in order to succeed in life and succeed in school. In fact, it is essential that everyone learns from mistakes in order for civilization to advance.

Looking back on things, I still can’t believe I was stupid enough to hide in that yard. Now that I know the man, he didn’t really care that I was in his yard. If I had just stood up and told the truth of why I was there, things would have turned out much differently and this scar on my knee that I have from that day would by gone.