My Other Half

Rakela - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

I believe that everyone should have a best friend. Who else would tell you that you have a wad of spinach in your teeth or that after your little trip to the bathroom you had a trail of toilet paper stuck to your boot? Sure, first they would laugh and take a picture without you knowing and send it to everyone in their phone, but they still care about you unconditionally. A best friend will love you no matter what, even if you completely ruin all the events they planned for their birthday party like I did to my best friend Becky is seventh grade.

For Becky’s big thirteenth birthday extravaganza, her mom planned a scavenger hunt for the dozen of us to complete at the mall. Each team of two received a disposable camera to take pictures of themselves doing the tasks on the list. My partner and I dashed off as fast as we could since #19 on the list said “Take a picture with a tan circular Coach” and we were right next to the Coach store. We ran in to the store excitedly but a security guard pulled us to the side and asked us what we were doing. Apparently you’re not allowed to take pictures in the mall, so our entire group was thrown out of the mall. Becky was devastated and crying, but luckily she was able to give a good laugh later on when we realized that the list had said “Take a picture with a tan circular couch.” Even though I had messed up all of her birthday plans, I was still her best friend.

I believe that everyone should have a best friend, because everyone should feel as if they have value and know that someone out there cares about them no matter what. Best friends are there for you through everything such as when your boyfriend breaks up with you, your grandparent dies, you win concert tickets to your favorite band, and when you just feel like hanging out. A best friend is your other half, the picture inside the locket, and the icing on the cake. Everyone deserves to have someone special like a best friend in their life.