Dissipation of our Nation

Ji-Ho - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

Historians say that a major event occurs every four years. Whether it is the Olympics, World Cup, or American Presidential Elections, each holds a great place in society. This year alone, we experienced Chinese culture at the Beijing Olympics, fell into one of the greatest recessions in history, and now are in hot pursuit of one of the most momentous presidential elections ever.

The 2008 election will change many world perspectives of the United States, as well as other aspects of the world that we cannot predict. This year, everyone should take the time to look back on everything that has occurred in the past eight years with President Bush. People must realize that everything will change with the inauguration of a new president. Whether the future president is John McCain or Barack Obama, the title of “President of the United States” will be rewarding, but a challenge nevertheless. They will be engulfed by the shadow of the barriers ahead and must tear them down before chaos reigns again. Without the help of society, our economy will dissolve into thin air, businesses will collapse, people will lose jobs and their homes, and all respect we deserve will have disintegrated into nothingness.

We all live in the same country, so why should we not act as a single body and mind that betters our nation as a whole? This year, we must all support the U.S. by holding it up with our bare hands, creating a solid foundation for future generations by raising this generation’s children properly, allowing them a good education, decent food, and shelter. Supporting those to come is the only way to prevent tragedy. We must prevent terrorism and another world war. We each get one life, and we should spend it on producing a better environment for the world. This would be time well spent.

The true challenge is not whether you succeed or whether you made a difference, but it is to actually get going. Waiting for things to happen can last a lifetime but doing a deed may only take minutes. No longer can I wait, and neither should anyone else. We must stand up and confront the world’s problems as a whole and fix them. Now I ask, “I will play my part to better society. Will you?”