Have Your Own Fun

Emma - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
Themes: carpe diem

Being a teenage girl, I tend to hear complaints from millions of my classmates. Particularly when there is going to be a party, “She is so mean to me! It won’t be fun at all if she is going!” The complaints are especially strong when rumors are revealed, “After he said that about me, my day was ruined.” The fact that I am on the receiving end of all this complaining is not what annoys me. What does annoy me is how down theses people get about themselves. I believe if someone’s bad attitude is preventing you from having a good time, go make your own fun.

I was in that situation once when I was planning a get-together before homecoming. I was so stressed out, but then my friend calmed me as she said, “Emma, if there is someone dramatic enough to cause problems, we can go have our own fun!” Ever since then I have been giving that advice to those who are ever in a similar dilemma.

I think that it is terrible that a person would have such a bad attitude, resulting in someone being dreadfully unhappy. If you deserve to have a good time, don’t let a person be in the way of your happiness. A person does not need an entourage to have fun. The little things can brighten your mood, whether it be a sincere smile from a passing stranger or hug from your best friend. People that try to bring you down aren’t worth your time. The other side of the room might not be far enough away from them, but to engage in conversation with someone else over there, is making an effort.

Next time a person is making something less fun for you, listen to the wise words of a fourteen year old girl and make your own fun. No one wants to be around a negative Nancy, and maybe others will follow your lead. Nothing is better than doing your own thing that makes you happy, and everyone should make life fun to fullest extent.