This I Belive, We Should Care Less What Others Think

Kirsten - Wexford, Pennsylvania

I believe that people today care too much about others opinions of them. Although it is really cliché, I think that it is worth writing about. But if you really think about it, how much of your precious time is spent worrying about what other people think of you? A lot more time than is necessary, in my opinion. I must admit, I care about other peoples opinions a little more than I should, but it is something I am working on.

It bothers me immensely when one of my friends is complaining about how ugly they look because they woke up late or the rain messed up their hair. They usually look fine, and if they don’t, why do they care so much? Of course I know the answer, but it does not seem so important to me whether that cute boy noticed the way I looked or if I impressed the popular crowd. But it is still hard for me not to care about what my peers think of the way I look. And I am in no way saying that looks have no influence on other people’s opinions, because I create opinions on someone by the way they appear. I am merely stating that we should not spend so much time worrying about our looks.

Would it not be ideal to live in a world or go to a school where people’s first opinions have nothing to do with your looks? It would be so awesome if people judged you only by your personality. But it is human nature to judge people by their looks, even though some people are better at controlling it. I believe that we all not only need to work on worrying less what other people think, but we also must work on controlling the way we judge. And thinking about this, I have realized that by changing the way we judge, it will be easier for others to worry less about their looks.