Stay Positive: Everything Happens for a Reason

Rachel - Wexford, Pennsylvania

I believe that an individual should not focus on negative situations in life, but keep a positive attitude, because everything happens for a reason. My belief was reinforced about two years ago, when my brother, Richard applied for a full band scholarship for college. He tried out by playing the drums for the band professor, and my family all thought he had a good chance of receiving the scholarship. Although he ended up not receiving it, he stayed positive and remained on good terms with the band professor. About two months later, Richard received a phone call from the choral director, and it turned out no one applied for the choral scholarship. Since Richard made such a positive impression on the band professor and the professor recognized his background in sound and recording, he recommended my brother to receive the full choral scholarship. To this day, my brother is now doing well in school, and actively participates with the band and he records and does the sound for the chorus.

Everyone can learn a helpful lesson from my brother’s story. Without Richard’s positive attitude, he would not have been so fortunate to receive a full scholarship for doing something that he enjoys. Also, if my brother had received the band scholarship in the first place, then he would not have had the chance to be involved with the choral department, thus proving that everything happens for a reason.

We all need to learn not to dwell on the negative events in our lives, but learn from them and do something positive. However, it does not need to be a life changing event. It could be something as small as a bad grade on a math test, and not dwelling on that grade but studying harder in order to achieve a better one.

My brother’s story has shown me that even if life does not go your way, it is important to not dwell on the negative experiences, but learn from them and apply them in a positive way.