My Own Worst Enemy

Julia - Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

As I sat down on the couch and grabbed the remote control and flicked on the television, right on cue, my dad walks into the family room with a stern look on his face. As usual, he gives his lecture on how TV does not help society out one bit and all it does is contribute to the rising population of obesity and trailer parks. As usual, I listen to him go on for about a minute, then I sigh, and then I solemnly turn off the TV and slump out of the room. I could hear my dad muttering something behind me, but I already knew what it was. He was, once again, saying that I am my own worst enemy. He always says that, but now that I think about it, my dad’s words of wisdom actually mean something to me. I believe that I, myself, am and can be my own worst enemy. In fact, everyone in the world is their own worst enemy. Besides, why aren’t things always getting accomplished here in the world at this very moment?

I know that in order to be healthy, you have to exercise. You have to be motivated to achieve. But what my dad had said to me was even more important than that. He is basically saying only you, yourself, can prevent yourself from achieving your dreams and striving for bigger things. For instance, my dad is always telling me that I need to get myself outside and do something. I always loathe him when he does something like that, but, you never know. He could really mean something, and that one time that I go outside could actually make a large impact on my life.

Most of the time, I usually ignore that one saying whenever my dad preaches it to me or my brother. But now that I think about it, the more it means to me. I am my own worst enemy if I prevent myself from doing things greater than I normally do. But hey, if I can stop being my own worst enemy, you never know, things might take an even better turn for the best.